Myrtle Grove Vine Estate, Sir Lowry's Pass, 7133
+27 (0) 21 858 1554
The story
History of Ongegund Lodge

In the early days of the Cape many wagons took the rough and arduous pass over the Hottentots Holland mountains to the Overberg and the still mysterious interior of the South African country.

There was a great need for outspan places where weary travellers with their dozens of wagons and large spans of oxen could overnight. One of these outspans was in the Hottentots Holland mountains on the farm “Ongegund”.

The farm’s history is intertwined with its two neighbours, “De Fortuin” dating back to 1711, and “Knorhoek”, granted in 1790 to Thomas Knoetze who already owned “Ongegund”. From 1842 Ongegund’s name changed to “Myrtle Grove”.

Accommodation is provided in Garden, Anex, Patio, Pool, Loft, Manner and Self Catering Rooms as well as a Victoria Suite.